Monday, September 10, 2007

Artist Journal by Lauren Smith, UCA Student





8/28/08

When I first learned of Morton Brown coming to UCA to work on a mural in Conway I was exicited and intrigued. I love the idea of all of us working together to create something meaningful and beautiful for our growing city.
I went to a few talks and thought it was brilliant to 'spice' up Conway's main area. I was unaware; however, that I and the rest of my classmates would be joining Mr. Brown in constructing this mural. Honestly, I was a little intimidated. Large scale anything frightens me, and I have a strong fear of heights. Putting heights aside, I really was just nervous about being a part of something, that I had come to realize, was a really big deal for Conway and the community. I had no prior knowledge of how to create a mural or the process. I just knew you had to be a dedicated person...especially now that it is so hot outside. (and believe me, I wanted to give up on the first day when we primed in 103 degree heat. I didn't!)

I have learned a lot from this experience so far. Not only about the processes, which are extensive, but also the historical background of Conway. For me, this mural means more than just a mural for Conway. It is a test. A test to see if I can do it..to dedicated myself, to push myself, to not be afraid of painting something important to everyone, or even falling off a scaffold. :)

Lauren Smith
Senior

No comments: